Calypso: Direct and full interfacing to C++

Elie Morisse via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 23 09:18:20 PST 2015

On Friday, 23 January 2015 at 12:29:56 UTC, Kelly wrote:
> Hello Elie,
>
> This project looks great, thanks for the hard work. I
> downloaded Calypso and ldc2 about 6 hours ago to try your
> project out.
>
> I can get Calypso to compile with a couple small changes to
> assistbuilder.cpp (just adding a namespace qualifier for two
> class instantiations of CodeGen). That is with clang-3.5 from
> todays svn. Maybe a recent clang commit has changed things?
>
> Once I had a working Calypso ldc2 build, I unfortunately
> couldn't get the showcase example to build. I just use the
> build line from your git page to try to build, but I get an
> 'undefined identifier size_t' error. The pch file is produced
> properly but then this error comes up...it seems like while
> compiling druntime from the '-v' output?? Maybe something
> changed in the druntime submodule in the last few days...but I
> didn't really look into it yet.
>
> I hacked a couple things to just get around this error and then
> things fail because libshowcase.a isn't available. I assume
> that is a remnant from an earlier compilation technique,
> because it appears everything is self contained in the .o files
> being produced and then linked on the command line...so I just
> thought I would let you know this part doesn't work.
>
> If you could give me a hint on the 'undefined identifier
> size_t' error, I can look into it a bit further here...I am
> just getting tired and probably not seeing what is going on
> there. If you are on #ldc I will be on there later today. Not
> sure what your username is in #ldc. At least one other person
> has been by asking if you were there also :)
>

> Thanks,
> Kelly (wilsonk-laptop)

Thanks for the feedback Kelly, you're probably the first person
to give it a serious try, sorry for the bumpy ride :)

Since I was focused on getting Ogre working and neither rebuilt
druntime/phobos nor tested the showcase example against the
latest commits they might have broken something.
Also the README forgets to say how libshowcase.a should be built:

   clang++ -std=c++11 -c showcase.cpp -o showcase.cpp.o
   ar rcs libshowcase.a showcase.cpp.o

   ldc2 -cpp-args -std=c++11 -Llibshowcase.a -L-lstdc++ showcase.d

Adding this now.

I'm going to fix the rest this afternoon (finally some free
time), and also figure out why assistbuilder.cpp failed to
compile against the latest Clang 3.5.

Also going to setup a testing script to ensure not everything
gets broken again by a commit.