This Week in D, Issue 3

via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 26 07:07:06 PST 2015

On Monday, 26 January 2015 at 14:48:52 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> One thing I did this time that I'm not sure if I want to commit
> to was writing a very brief summary of a couple of the threads.
> (It had to be very brief tbh because I didn't actually read
> them all myself, I had just been skimming)
>
> I think it would be too much to do that for everything, but I
> do like the idea and might do it for at least a few when I can
> going forward.
>
> One thing I don't want this to ever be is *just* a list of
> links.

Yes, if there is too much trivia on the top of the newsletter
people might loose interest and miss out on the "Tip of the
week", which could be an important channel for "incremental
education".

I guess forum summaries are most interesting if there is:

1. a sense of movement/change of direction

2.  new directions (new framework or compiler)

3. encouragement to participate if there is contention around an
important issue before implementation (like before improving the
GC).

An acid test would be asking yourself "will this discussion topic
be notable after a month?".

I think the usual "hot today" forum topics ought be profiled on
dlang.org front page using heuristics. I think dlang.org could
list more than 8 threads, with a "more link" that goes to the
forum page. (I doubt most people will use the scroll bar, and it
looks ugly :-).

If a forum announcement acts as an "official blog news
announcement" then a snippet ought to be present on the front
page and in the "This Week in D", with a "read more" link?

Anyway, keep up the good work. I like where you are going with
this! :-)