2015 H1 Vision

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 31 23:12:56 PST 2015

On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 01:17:41 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Walter and I have been mulling for a while on a vision for the
> first six months of 2015.
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1
>
> This is stuff we consider important for D going forward and
> plan to work actively on. We encourage the D community to focus
> contributions along the same lines.
>
> We intentionally kept the document short and high-level as
> opposed to discussing tactical details. Such discussions are
> encouraged in the appropriate forums.

Nice work, D needed some direction like this.  I thought one
oversight was no mention of ddmd, which seems to have gone into
limbo over the last year.  According to Daniel, it's pretty much
done but is just waiting on Brad to add some support in the
auto-tester, for 9 months now:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/m8bt6s$1s86$1@digitalmars.com

Moving the dmd frontend to D would help encourage contribution,
one of the explicit goals in the vision statement, and would help
keep the C++ support up to date, as the backends will stay C++.

I wish there had been some mention of mobile.  Recent news was
that 1 billion Android smartphones were sold last year: that
dwarfs the 316 million PCs sold, a number that keeps declining.
That doesn't even include the two hundred million tablets sold
last year.  Right now, there's two people working on Android
support and one person on iOS support.

Even Android has moved to Ahead-Of-Time compilation with
Lollipop.  Mobile is a giant opportunity for native languages,
one D cannot afford to miss.