D extensions to python, inline in an ipython/jupyter notebook

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 2 11:27:23 PDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-06-30 at 18:20 +0000, John Colvin via Digitalmars-d
-announce
 […]

> Ditched distutils in favour of dub. This is easier for me to
> maintain and fits much better with the rest of the D ecosystem

I am not convinced by this, though cleary my feeling carry no weight in
decision making :-)

For building C, and C++ extension (and indeed Chapel ones) it is
assumed distutils will be used, allowing for:

	python3 setup.py build

	python3 setup.py install

SCons can do this but every one demands distutils. Can dub really
replace distutils for installing extensions as well as building them?
Will people installing extensions be prepared to switch to a non
-standard system? Whilst perhaps they should, they won't. I fear that
without a distutils installation, the extension will never be installed
outside the development team. It's not the D community that must be
convinced, it is the Python one.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk