Lessons Learned: Writing a filesystem in D

Dragos Carp via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 8 06:51:25 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 8 July 2015 at 13:08:08 UTC, Adrian Matoga wrote:

> I run up against the same problem with threads when trying to
> play audio asynchronously - the callbacks are made from another
> thread which is created outside D. I solved it by disabling GC
> in callbacks that might invoke it, but it seems there's another
> solution to try out.

Why would such a callback need to allocate memory? For a similar
project I used PortAudio with the D bindings [1]. In the
callback, I just copy data from the D data stream to the port
audio buffers and consume the copied data from the data stream.
It works perfectly without any GC calls.

[1] https://github.com/D-Programming-Deimos/portaudio