3 more dconf 2015 talks (Andy, Jonathan, and Mark)

Andy Smith via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 8 15:20:05 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 8 July 2015 at 02:53:06 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Saturday, 4 July 2015 at 01:13:52 UTC, Andy Smith wrote:
>>
>> I've raised
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dconf.org/pull/85 to
>> have the dconf website point to these urls. Andrei please
>> consider merging once you've done unpacking all the boxes :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> A.
>
> Andy, I just watched your talk and enjoyed it. You make a
> comment about 24min in about implementing something like
> transiente from Clojure in D. I have some cursory knowledge of
> Clojure and what you mean by transient, but no idea how to
> implement the concept in D. If it's possible to provide a
> simple example, I would be interested.

Hey.... I didn't really have an equivalent of transients in D, it
was more a general statement that there are cases where you can
still get functional purity using mutable state rather than
adhering to a strict functional approach.

So in much the same way as I 'cheat' slightly by using mutable
state in the system, clojure cheats in much the same way using
transients for intermediate calculations in an implementation
provided that the interface is pure.

I didn't elaborate too much during the talk as *NO-ONE* nodded to
say they new clojure so moved swiftly on :-)

Cheers,

A.