Firs step of D/Objective-C merged

Michel Fortin via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 14 13:37:10 PDT 2015

On 2015-07-14 18:53:31 +0000, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> said:

> Hmm, I see. I imagined something similar would need to be done for the
> new exception handling in Swift 2, but for every method, that was
> unexpected. Now when Swift goes open source someone can just have a
> look and see what's going on :)

I'd be surprised if error handling had something to do with those
thunks (they were there in Swift 1.2 after all). Error handling in
Swift 2 is mostly a lowering of Cocoa's NSError handling pattern merged
into the calling convention, where the compiler generates the necessary
code in each function to propagate errors.

Objective-C exceptions are still fatal errors when they reach Swift 2 code.

I think those thunks are simply there so that Swift code can use Swift
calling conventions everywhere, which makes things simpler on the Swift
side and enables some optimizations that would not be allowed with
Objective-C.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca