Programming in D On Goodreads

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 18 06:46:17 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 18 July 2015 at 13:34:55 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> Thank you for doing that.
>
> On a related note, the paper version of the book is in proofing
> stage: I have just ordered a print copy for proofing. (I don't
> expect any major problem as what they print is the same as the
> pdf copy.) It should hit Amazon soon.
>
> I am also trying to determine the price for the paper copy.
> Unfortunately, the threshold price for standard distribution
> channels came out to be a little over $17, which is almost the
> same as what I was hoping to sell for. Adding extended
> distribution channels pushes the threshold price to over $25. :(
>
> What is a fare price for that book, considering that HTML and
> PDF versions will always be free anyway?

$20-$30 is the standard price for most programming books so I
don't think anyone who is willing to buy physical books in the
first place will think that you are charging too much.

> I have started considering drastic changes to reduce the page
> count by
>
> - making the font smaller (currently 10pt)
>
> - reducing the margins
>
> - removing the exercise solutions from the book (currently 50
> pages)

Please don't. This will just make the book a lot less useful. If
you make the PDF have more content than the print version there
is no reason why anyone would buy the physical copy.