Beta D 2.068.0-b2

Joseph Cassman via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 28 18:55:34 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 28 July 2015 at 09:43:00 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Monday, 27 July 2015 at 18:58:33 UTC, Joseph Cassman wrote:
>> I just wasted a lot of time again trying to get Win64 set up
>> on a machine I had to wipe. I had it working for 2.067.1
>> somehow but was never able to duplicate that on other machines
>> I have. The information at [1] is outdated. Neither the
>> Windows 7 nor 8.1 SDK install a linker for me now for some
>> reason. I had to install VS 2015 to get a 64-bit linker. This
>> fixed the linker not found post installation issue. But then I
>> got a LIBCMT.lib not found issue. I copied it and other
>> library files to the D installation lib64 subdirectory (I
>> couldn't figure out what to modify in the sc.ini file; tried
>> various modifications). Now I am getting a cryptic LNK4229
>> error that makes no sense to me. At this point I quit.
>
> Depending on Microsoft's libc and linker for 64-bit is an
> unfortunate dependency and can cause some hassle. An
> alternative would be appreciated, but I'm not aware of any.
> There is some code in the installer, that detects your SDK, but
> if you installed it after dmd it won't work. Isn't there some
> feedback about SDKs during installation?

There is probably an obvious reason this is not possible but I
could not see it when reading through the MS licensing
information. It seems to me the linker bin could be
redistributed. Why is it (and the other required lib/dll files)
not bundled with the Windows installer to make it
one-stop-shopping?

Seems like this is what is done with Win32.

Joseph