DConf 2015 has ended. See you in Berlin at DConf 2016!

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 2 11:28:59 PDT 2015

On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 18:25:02 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 12:39:13 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> On the other hand, AST macros have been officially rejected
>> and that I like a lot :)
>
> Hi.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what are the evils of AST macros (or
> could you point me to something you like on the topic)?

There was extended discussion in old threads but short summary of
my opinion is:

- allows implicit changes to language semantics (== learning new
framework is effectively learning new language)
- overlaps in functionality with mixins for majority of use cases
- less intuitive to newcomers (though cleaner/safer to
experienced programmers, I admit that)
- requires standard (and stable!) AST format