forum.dlang.org, version 2 (BETA)

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 4 21:00:43 PDT 2015

On 6/4/2015 8:04 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> http://beta.forum.dlang.org/
>
> Many major and minor improvements.
>
> Some major ones:
>
> - dlang.org theme, fully responsive and mobile-friendly
> - keyboard navigation in all views
> - automatically saved post drafts
> - get notified of new posts and replies with subscriptions
> - full text search
> - by persistent request, a new view mode (vertical-split)
> - post to mailing lists
> - even faster, believe it or not.
>
> This update is the sum of 256 commits over 34 days of development.

Pretty dazz! I also like the new stats display at the top. Just for fun eye
candy, you could juice that up and show a graph of the stats for the past month
or whatever.

Another idea:

Consider the display:
  http://beta.forum.dlang.org/group/general
and compare with:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/I_won_a_school_game-creation_competition_263965.html

In particular:

Vladde Nordholm (12/12) May 30 So hey everyone! I am very hap...
◦  Marcin Szymczak (3/3) May 30 That is great news! Congratula...
◦  extrawurst (3/16) May 30 here is the link i suppose: ...
◾  Dennis Ritchie (3/21) May 30 The game starts normally but w...
◾  Vladimir Panteleev (3/8) May 30 I saw the same problem (access...
◦  Andrei Alexandrescu (2/14) May 30 Congratulations! -- Andrei...
◦  Vladde Nordholm (8/8) May 31 Quick note to Dennis and Vladi...

After each post, the first non-quoted line of text from the post is inserted.
(The n/m means n = non-quoted lines and m = total lines.) This gives a nice clue
which one would be most interesting to click on. Slashdot does this:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/15/06/04/2250233/researchers-power-a-security-camera-with-wi-fi-signals

Slashdot does it even better by expanding/contracting the clicked on post inline
rather than opening a new page, and having to go back and forth between pages. I
think this significantly better.