forum.dlang.org, version 2 (BETA)

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 4 22:01:00 PDT 2015

On 06/04/2015 10:59 PM, IgorStepanov wrote:
> On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 02:14:08 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 02:11:17 UTC, IgorStepanov wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, why we use email/NNTP server instead of simple database/file
>>> storage?
>>> Do we use some free mail server, or we must support some old
>>> infrastructure?
>>
>> Yes, this forum was created explicitly to replace Web-News, an NNTP
>> newsreader. Initially all communication was done via NNTP (Web-News or
>> a desktop NNTP client) and mailing lists. The last time I checked,
>> only 50% of posters used forum.dlang.org, others used NNTP or mailing
>> lists.
>
> Interestingly, they do it because they are accustomed, or they have a
> handy desktop/mobile applications?

As nice as forum.dlang.org is, many of us just like native NNTP clients
way better. I'm accessing this though Thunderbird (although I've also
used claws-mail and IIRC Outlook Express for it in the past.)

Incidentally, I used to be a web forum fan, and it was this NG that
introduced me to NNTP (back before this NG had a decent web interface).
But then I ended up liking NNTP clients better. :)

I do use forum.dlang.org on mobile though, since I'm not aware of any
worthwhile mobile NNTP client.