forum.dlang.org, version 2 (BETA)

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 02:53:12 PDT 2015

On Friday, June 05, 2015 09:16:29 sigod via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 01:52:07 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> > On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 01:48:20 UTC, Meta wrote:
> >> How feasible is it to add code formatting for the web
> >> interface?
> >
> > Not sure what you mean. Do you mean syntax highlighting for D
> > code?
> >
> > If you mean the rewrapping issues with forum.dlang.org, those
> > should be fixed now. Code (and other text with hard line
> > breaks) should be sent and displayed as-is.
>
> How about markdown support? It can have completely client-side
> implementation.

Remember that the forum software is just a frontend for an nntp server and
that others view the content via nntp or via the mailing list. So, it
doesn't make any sense to support features that involve anything other than
plain text. It would just result in garbage/cruft in the messages for those
viewing it elsewhere than the forums. So, while it might be nice to have
markdown if we were dealing purely with forum software, we're not, so it
doesn't make sense.

- Jonathan M Davis