forum.dlang.org, version 2 (BETA)

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 03:53:52 PDT 2015

On Friday, June 05, 2015 10:19:20 sigod via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 09:53:34 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > Remember that the forum software is just a frontend for an nntp
> > server and that others view the content via nntp or via the
> > mailing list.
>
> This just scares off users who doesn't have experience with all
> this stuff. And I believe now there's much more users, who
> doesn't even heard of NNTP, than whose who worked with it.

Then they can just use the web forums and not care about how they're
implemented. They just won't get features that won't work with NNTP or the
mailing list. A large portion of the folks who communicate in the newsgroup
(especially the core developers) use them via NNTP or the mailing list
rather than the web forums. Whatever we do needs to work well with all
three communication mechanisms.

> > So, it doesn't make any sense to support features that involve
> > anything other than plain text. It would just result in
> > garbage/cruft in the messages for those viewing it elsewhere
> > than the forums.
>
> Markdown in a raw format is very readable. As for me, it's easier
> to read raw markdown than mix of text and code.

Perhaps, but I don't want to see raw markdown in e-mails any more than I
want to see raw html, even if raw markdown isn't quite as bad.

> > So, while it might be nice to have markdown if we were dealing
> > purely with forum software, we're not, so it doesn't make sense.
>
> I don't see a reason why forum cannot have features on it's own.
> Especially, when this features won't significantly affect other
> ways to access the same information.

If you're screwing with the content of the messages, then yes, it does
affect the other ways that the information is accessed - and that includes
adding stuff like markdown or html into the messages. If it's something that
just affects how the content is viewed in the web forum, then that's fine,
but it needs to not mess with the content of the messages or assume that all
(or even a majority) of the users are communicating via the web forum.

- Jonathan M Davis