forum.dlang.org, version 2 (BETA)

sigod via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 05:37:01 PDT 2015

On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 10:54:03 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday, June 05, 2015 10:19:20 sigod via
> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> Markdown in a raw format is very readable. As for me, it's
>> easier to read raw markdown than mix of text and code.
>
> Perhaps, but I don't want to see raw markdown in e-mails any
> more than I want to see raw html, even if raw markdown isn't
> quite as bad.

Your comparison of markdown and HTML doesn't make any sense.
They're fundamentally different.

>> > So, while it might be nice to have markdown if we were
>> > dealing purely with forum software, we're not, so it doesn't
>> > make sense.
>>
>> I don't see a reason why forum cannot have features on it's
>> own. Especially, when this features won't significantly affect
>> other ways to access the same information.
>
> If you're screwing with the content of the messages, then yes,
> it does affect the other ways that the information is accessed
> - and that includes adding stuff like markdown or html into the
> messages. If it's something that just affects how the content
> is viewed in the web forum, then that's fine, but it needs to
> not mess with the content of the messages

Are you sure you aren't confusing something like [bbcodes] with
[markdown]?

I don't see how markdown can obscure message. For example, this
quotes (`>`) are part of markdown.

> or assume that all (or even a majority) of the users are
> communicating via the web forum.

You missed my point. I was talking about _potential_ users.
Aren't we all want for D to became very popular and broadly used?

[bbcodes]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode
[markdown]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown