forum.dlang.org, version 2 (BETA)

Kapps via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 09:10:46 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 4 June 2015 at 15:04:05 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> http://beta.forum.dlang.org/
>
> Many major and minor improvements.
>
> Some major ones:
>
> - dlang.org theme, fully responsive and mobile-friendly
> - keyboard navigation in all views
> - automatically saved post drafts
> - get notified of new posts and replies with subscriptions
> - full text search
> - by persistent request, a new view mode (vertical-split)
> - post to mailing lists
> - even faster, believe it or not.
>
> This update is the sum of 256 commits over 34 days of
> development.

Looks really nice, I particularly like the improved speed, reply
notifications (though haven't tried it yet) and subscriptions.
Keyboard navigation is interesting, but I've always found it a
bit clunky (especially because combined with scrolling, it often
doesn't update the current post so pressing k/j goes somewhere
else on the screen, but I guess space makes more sense in that
situation). A shortcut for navigating to the next page would not
be amiss however.

One thing that I've always found annoying is how difficult it is
to open up multiple threads in a new tab in Basic mode. Any post
that you haven't read you have to move your mouse to the far left
to click it, any post you have read you have to move your mouse
to the far right to go to the next unread post. I usually just
open up most updated threads in a new tab, so you're constantly
going back and forth from far left to far right. It would be nice
if there was a way to go to the first post on an unread thread or
the first unread post on a read thread without having to move
across the page.