Reggae binary backend: build your project with a D compiled executable

Mike via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 6 19:04:31 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 6 June 2015 at 20:07:22 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> Original discussion:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/ranqlmrjornlvopsuris@forum.dlang.org
>
> Now, with the `-b binary` option, reggae creates an executable
> called "build" in the build directory (i.e. wherever the CWD
> was when calling the tool) that knows how to build the project.
> If needed, there is no longer a dependency on make or ninja. I
> haven't tested it extensively, but it does pass all the other
> tests I wrote for make and ninja, so it looks good.

I like what you're doing with reggae, and I salute the work.

I will reiterate my suggestion to consider making Reggae a simple
package import so this build functionality can be used in
anyone's D program, including the Reggae tool.

We already have the ability to generate a binary with the
compiler, so the binary backend seems a little redundant.  You
have all the great features one would need:  Targets,
dependencies, flags, build driver, etc...  so it seems plausible
to move some of your driver code to the payload/reggae package to
make one's task of building a custom driver trivial.

I don't suggest making a libreggae library as a separate
repository from the Reggae tool, but rather simply do the
refactoring to make payload/reggae folder importable from any D
program, including the Reggae tool itself.

Mike