Summer cleanup on https://issues.dlang.org

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 9 12:33:30 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 at 19:15:41 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> The decision stands. Too many obscure choices presented with
> equal importance is just a bad user experience.

There is more to this than just user experience.

If you go to file a bug in a large mature project, for example
KDE or Firefox, you'll see that their Bugzilla instances have
myriads of projects, components and subcomponents. There is
actually an important reason for this: each component can have a
maintainer, who will be notified and automatically assigned to
the bug. If a maintainer resigns, his components can be divided
among others.

I have long thought that we should encourage "ownership" of parts
of Phobos (and the project as a whole). For example, I'm
interested in receiving bug reports and reviewing PRs concerning
std.file and std.process (but not e.g. std.algorithm). Bugzilla
has the capability of automatically choosing an assignee for the
respective component, we would just need to configure it.

Getting past contributors involved is one way we can fight lack
of PR reviews. The new subscription feature of forum.dlang.org is
another step towards this, but I have a few more things planned
to bring this idea in full force.