This Week in D: Dconf Thursday summaries

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 22 23:12:20 PDT 2015

On Monday, 22 June 2015 at 12:09:46 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 22 June 2015 at 06:01:35 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> Do you have any thoughts on automating the generation of IDL
>> files?
>
> I didn't need them, the mixin IDispatchImpl bit (example here:
> https://github.com/adamdruppe/com/blob/master/example/chello.d
> ) gave enough that the dynamic languages could call it through
> that interface.
>
> With IDispatch, they ask for functions by name string and pass
> the arguments, and it needs to forward. With the mixin, it uses
> reflection to generate those mappings and use it that way.

Okay.  I have spent half a day on this, read comhelpers.d, reread
your cookbook, and I am still stumped.

How do I generate the type library and registry entries?

At the moment the D examples work (I built as per instructions and
registered via regsrv32), but the Object Browser in Visual Studio
cannot find the COM object, and neither can Python or VBA.
Calling
either by name or by the GUID.

It looks to me like these will need type libraries to be generated
and added to the registry.  But it sounds like you didn't need
that
to call from dynamic languages.

So what am I missing?