Learning D Available for Pre-Order

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 07:47:01 PDT 2015

The project that has taken me away from Derelict since the end of
February is now available for pre-order at [1]. I'm currently
about 60% through the preliminary draft stage and, given that
I've recently acquired a significant amount of free time in my
schedule, expect to accelerate my pace on the remaining 40%. I
need as much time as I can make for the revisions!

I want to emphasize that "Learning D" is not aiming at those
completely new to programming. The target reader is someone with
some experience in a C family language. I see it as sitting
somewhere between Ali's book and TDPL. One of my overarching
goals is to help the target reader avoid some of the common
mistakes people make when applying C++ or Java idioms to D.

So far in the course of writing this book, I've learned that I
knew less about the fundamentals of D than I thought I did and
that the more difficult parts of the language aren't so
difficult. The tech reviewers have given excellent feedback and
done a fine job of correcting my misconceptions & mistakes. I
don't know how they feel about being named publicly just yet, but
they all have my sincerest thanks. I know how tiring and
time-consuming it can be to do that sort of thing, as reviewing
the English in the papers of Korean doctoral candidates,
professors and businessmen is something I do on the side.

Once it's all done, I'm going to blog a postmortem about the
whole process. It's been very, very different from my experience
with "Learn to Tango with D". Not a bad experience at all, just
more intense and time-consuming than I had anticipated.

[1] https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/learning-d