D extensions to python, inline in an ipython/jupyter notebook

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 30 15:19:54 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 30 June 2015 at 18:20:21 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 June 2015 at 15:51:37 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>> Bare-bones at the moment, but hopefully of interest to some
>> people
>>
>> https://github.com/DlangScience/PydMagic
>>
>> This allows you to write D extensions to python, as inline
>> cells in an ipython/jupyter notebook.
>
> v0.1.0 is released, with substantial improvements. This is more
> like a usable tool and less like a proof of concept now,
> although I would definitely say it is still alpha quality due
> to lack of testing.
>
> Highlights:
>
> Ditched distutils in favour of dub. This is easier for me to
> maintain and fits much better with the rest of the D ecosystem
>
> As a result of the above, the %%pyd magic interface has
> changed, see the README.md or %%pyd? for info on the new system
>
> Extended the @pdef!() UDA mechanism to work for not only
> functions, but pretty much everything else that pyd supports.
> You can now use it to automatically expose types, members,
> properties and more.
>
> Many bugs fixed.

This is great - looking forward to playing with it.

One nice idea I have is to be able to flip between the notebook
for charting and specifying reports and Excel for viewing and
exploring the results.  Not just for me, but some people are much
more comfortable with Excel.

(would use a backend server that is communicated with via nanomsg
IPC so excel can see same data)