dfmt 0.1.0

Ben Boeckel via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 6 06:54:16 PST 2015

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 10:31:29 +0000, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> That is the whole point of using tabs for indent, you can chose the
> indent amount: I tend to use 20ex.
>
> Remember a tab is not a number of spaces, it is semantic markup. Using
> spaces is a low-level hack founded on a lack of separation of concerns
> and abstraction.

The problem with tabs, IMO, are the following:

  - don't look right in patches (notice the different alignment of
    indented lines versus lines without any):

-int foo(int bar) {
-	return bar;
-}

    versus (assuming 8 space indents):

-int foo(int bar) {
-        return bar;
-}

  - I have yet to see an editor properly do tab-for-indent with proper
    space-for-alignment without manual management:

	int my_long_function_name(int bar,
	                          int baz)

By the way, this is *wrong* because tabs now have a defined size (8
here) which defeats the only (tangible[1]) advantage they have:

	int my_long_function_name(int bar,
				  int baz)

--Ben

[1]File size savings are negligible.