GtkD 3.0-beta

captaindet via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 11 09:48:27 PDT 2015

On 2015-03-10 18:05, jollie wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 15:41:54 -0500, captaindet wrote:
>
>> thanks a lot, jollie, for the detailed description. i tried as advised,
>> the shell output was a bit different than in your example, i guess
>> because i installed the 32 bit version and your example was probably for
>> 64bit.
>>

> I have been using both 32 and 64 bit msys2.  For this example, I was using
> i686(32bit).  If your machine is a 32bit machine use i686 or x86_64 for a
> 64bit machine. Once msys2 is installed, you can download 32bit or 64bit
> mingw_w64 packages. In this example "C:\msys32\mingw32"

one question regarding 32 vs 64 bit MSYS2:
i am on 64bit win7, but for the time being i only use the dmd toolchain, i.e., i create 32bit executables using optlink. so i need the 32bit GTK3 to call into.

quite confusingly MSYS2 i686 (32bit) created a mingw32 and a mingw64 folder. so i was wondering if i could - or rather should - install MSYS2 x86_64 (64bit) after all and then be able to use the mingw32 folder for my 32bit D applications? would this be possible just by installing the one gtk3 package you mentioned (mingw-w64-i686-gtk3)?

>> the problem though is that my GTK application lost most icons and there
>> are tons of warning/critical messages (repeating every time i move the
>> mouse):
>
> Most likely, the adwaita theme was not installed. Try to download the icon
> themes again.
>
> This will say [installed] if theme is installed. Here I have both 32/64 bit.
> $ pacman -Ss adwaita
> mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-adwaita-icon-theme 3.15.1-1 (mingw-w64-i686-gnome) [installed]
>      GNOME icon theme (mingw-w64)
> mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-adwaita-icon-theme 3.15.1-1 (mingw-w64-x86_64-gnome) [installed]
>      GNOME icon theme (mingw-w64)
>
> If not type:
> $ pacman -S mingw-w64-i686-adwaita-icon-theme mingw-w64-i686-hicolor-icon-theme

it works now! i figured that the original installation was incomplete because i had to set rules for a lot of program executions and internet accesses (firewall rules). some parts of the MSYS2 install script timed out too quick and therefor some packages were skipped. i just followed the instructions on http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation part III. updating packages - and everything is there now (icons, pixbuffer dependencies). so far it works better than 3.8 which produced a good deal of these CRITICAL messages...

also it is so much prettier ;)

thanks jollie for your help getting GTK3 via MSYS2 and mike for providing GtkD!!

/det

ps: the mingw32 folder is >150MB (bin, etc, share only), the GTK3.8 folder was only ~50MB. gotta play with it a bit to see what i can leave out before distributing to other machines..