DDT 0.11.0 released

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 18 14:09:31 PDT 2015

On 17/03/2015 23:45, Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> I also couldn't launch GDB and debug the example 'hello world' app
> under Windows. Are there more steps to make this work?

If you're using DMD, that simply doesn't work at all. GDB doesn't
understand any of the debug formats DMD outputs (COFF/MSVC or OMF), and
it likely never will.

GDC for Windows is not maintained.

As LDC for Windows, I haven't tried it recently. Last time I tried it,
debugging support wasn't working (
http://forum.dlang.org/post/qsttkqzbtnhyrogekppn@forum.dlang.org ).
However may be that has changed recently? I dunno about LDC itself, but
I've tried the Rust compiler for Windows, and although a bit buggy,
basic debugging support was working:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RustDT/RustDT/master/documentation/screenshots/sample_debug.png
So the same should be possible for LDC as well!

Note: I try to collate this information in
http://wiki.dlang.org/Debuggers , although perhaps "Debugging support"
should listed by platform, instead of "by compiler".

If you absolutely must use DMD/MSVC toolchains, well there might be some
hope int the future, since work is being done on LLDB such as to be able
to debug MSVC executables:
http://blog.llvm.org/2015/01/lldb-is-coming-to-windows.html
(LLDB has an interface emulating GDB, and as such should integrate with
Eclipse and other GDB UI frontends)

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros