DDT 0.11.0 released

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 19 08:31:49 PDT 2015

On 19/03/2015 11:18, Dicebot wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 March 2015 at 22:32:06 UTC, Trent Forkert wrote:
>> Arbitrary, contrived example (though not entirely unrealistic):
>>  * a C(++) executable needs a static D library
>>  * Said D library in turn uses a C(++) library
>>  * All three of these are built as components of the same project
>>
>> So now I need a weird tangled mess of build systems calling each other
>> back and forth. Dub really doesn't pull its weight here.
>
> I call dub from makefile rules and feel pretty comfortable about such
> pattern (apart from being not-so-portable compared to raw dub). And
> building anything via IDE is just asking for trouble :)

Indeed, I reckon in these more complex examples, you'd call DUB from
make/cmake/whatever. DUB would be in charge of building the D library
aspect/component of that whole project. I don't see why this would not
be possible, or otherwise why it would be a tangled messed.

It might force to think of your build components in a more
structured/componentized way, instead of the paradigm of building on a
file by file basis, the `make` way. (I've only used make though, not
cmake, so dunno how much this comment applies to the later)

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros