Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 26 01:38:57 PDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-03-25 at 14:00 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/30ad8b/why_gos_design_is_a_disservice_to_intelligent/
>
> Andrei

The reaction in the Go community to this article has been exactly as
one would have anticipated. I paraphrase the common theme thus:  Go is
successful in the market, D isn't, therefore Go is a better language
than D.  Go does indeed have much greater market penetration, but I
leave it as an exercise for the reader to deduce the sophistry, and
indeed casuistry, in most of the argumentation.

Interestingly, or not, Erlang and Go are bringing better concurrency
and parallelism to Java. If there was some design/programming
resource, is would be good to revisit D's std.concurrency and
std.parallelism, in the light of the fibres stuff, to do something not
dissimilar to the Quasar framework so as to provide an integrated
actor/dataflow/CSP/data parallelism framework for D. As GPars has
shown, trying to do this stuff on volunteer labour alone just doesn't
work.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk