Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 26 04:04:26 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 26 March 2015 at 06:05:25 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 22:30:10 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>
>> Downplaying other languages makes the D crowd look desperate...
>
> and we are. see for example bug#14035. "typesystem? lolwut,
> never heard
> about that thing!" that's why i'd better report bugs directly
> to Kenji:
> he is a sane person.

D most certainly needs stronger typing, not sure why it tries to
propagate the weak typing of C. I find myself adding extra
template parameters and "explicit" in my C++ code just to get
stronger typing. New AoT languages ought to do better than C++.

What Go really got right was to have untyped literals. If you
combine that with a orthogonal weak-cast operator with pleasant
syntax then you have something.

Strong explicit typing also makes it possible to overload on
return values... Something I really want to see in a C++
replacement language.