Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 26 04:29:19 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 26 March 2015 at 10:17:42 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 March 2015 at 22:30:15 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> Downplaying other languages makes the D crowd look desperate...
>
> Heh, there were whole sites like phpain (can't find it now) and
> something similar for C++.

The feature set of C++ does cause maintenance issues in real
world codebases if you let programmers roam about freely and
"redefine" the syntax/semantics. More so than C with it's limited
feature set. Are you sure that D does not have similar issues? I
have no idea how Go fares, but orthogonal simplicity could be an
advantage in real world code bases where you read code other
people have written/mutated.

What I find interesting is that Python also has a feature set for
redefining semantics that should cause C++ like issues. Still, I
find most Python libraries I use to be fairly clean and
intuitive. Maybe the fact that Python is untyped and
non-performance-oriented makes programmers constrain themselves
more from producing spaghetti libraries...?