Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 26 11:00:29 PDT 2015

On 03/25/2015 07:00 PM, bearophile wrote:
> Ola Fosheim Grøstad:
>
>> Downplaying other languages makes the D crowd look desperate...
>
> That kind of articles are bad for the image of the D community

No. Just...no.

I'm honestly *really* tired of general society's (seemingly?) increasing
intolerance FOR intolerance.

Some things ARE bad. Some ideas are dumb ideas (ie without merit). Some
features are bad features. Some products really are crappy products.
Calling it out when you see it, using a frank explanation of your
reasoning, isn't bad, it's productive.

To discourage dissent, objections, or complaints is to rob ourselves of
potential improvement. *That's* what critique and complaints and
objections ARE: Recognition of the potential for improvement. There
*cannot* be progress and improvement without first identifying existing
faults. If nobody ever identified and voiced criticism of punchcards,
for example, we'd all still be stuck in the world of 1950's computing.

It's not as if "the D crowd" doesn't critique itself and it's own
language just plenty, so it's not like there's any hypocrisy here. And
I'm certainly not willing to accept that programmers should be viewed as
being part of distinct mutually-exclusive factions based on some
single-language allegiance. I'm a D guy. I also happen to be a fan of
Nemerle. And both languages have things I hate. So scratch the "it's the
D crowd" idea.

And seriously, the article in question barely mentions D at all.

So no, this is NOT some sort of "D community piece attacking another
language" as some comments seem to imply. It is merely an isolated
critique of one language by someone who happens to be *using* the given
language.

So he happens to also use D? So what? A lot of people use a lot of
langauges. I'm sure the author's used more than just Go and D, too. That
certainly doesn't make it one language attacking another. Maybe he's a
fan of burritos, too. Maybe then we could take it as a "ZOMG! The
burrito enthusiasts are attacking golang!"