Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 27 03:11:21 PDT 2015

On 3/27/2015 2:57 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> I think the way go handles interfaces and their composition would
> require a few tricks in D and C++, but I am sure it can be done.

Interfaces can be done with D templates. It'll be compile time polymorphism
rather than run time, but the same effect will result (and of course it'll be
faster).

It's pretty much how Ranges work in D.

> Aren't "green threads" now given the label fibres?

My understanding of fibers is they are all in one thread. Go's green threads can
be in multiple threads, the same thread, and even moved from one thread to another.

> And I think Vibe.d
> has an implementation for these – but I do not know for certain.

I don't know, either.

> D needs to corral all the bits, which I think are there, to create a
> good offering.

Yes.

> However, I cannot see this happening purely on volunteer,
> hobbyist resource. We need to find an organization or three willing to
> resource this activity.

I don't think it's that hard of a problem.