Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 27 04:02:45 PDT 2015

On Friday, 27 March 2015 at 10:37:01 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> The question is though what should happen in D. If Vibe.d
> fibres are a
> single threaded system, then they are not suitable for the
> actor,
> dataflow, CSP implementation needed in D since that must sit on
> a kernel
> thread pool where each lightweight thread is animated by
> whichever work
> stealing kernel thread comes along. Erlang, Go, GPars, Quasar,
> etc. all
> have different solutions to the problem of thread pools and task
> switching since the context is all important.

Yes, I agree that  the question is what should happen in D. But
the claim was that D provides everything Go does and there is
only a tiny scheduler that is missing. I don't think D benefits
from these claims. Benchmark D thoroughly against Go before
making claims or just give Go credit for being better in some
areas.

If it was up to me then co-routines would be ripped out of the
language. They are a cross cutting feature that makes significant
optimizations and improvements difficult or impossible.