Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

Chris via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 27 09:44:47 PDT 2015

On Friday, 27 March 2015 at 16:20:28 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 27 March 2015 at 16:09:08 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> It need not be new, it needs to be good. That's all. I don't
>> understand this obsession people have with new things, as if
>> they were automatically good only because they are new. Why
>> not try square wheels? Uh, it's new, you know.
>
> New things can be cool for a toy language, but not for a
> production language. The latter needs polish and support (IDE
> etc).
>
> Just pointed out the social dynamics where Go/D communities are
> not all that different. There's probably a difference between
> programmers that juggle 5-7 languages and programmers that
> stick to 1 language: «it is just A tool among many» vs «it is
> THE tool». I think you see this expressed in both Go and D
> communities.

I'd say Go fans are worse in this respect (yes, I know, probably
not all of them). People in the D community are here, because
they have tried at least 5-7 other languages. Go programmers, if
Pike's remarks are anything to go by, are probably less
experienced (just left school or college) and are more
susceptible to Google's propaganda. I'd say they know not better.