Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 27 13:57:01 PDT 2015

On 3/27/2015 1:20 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I'm no Go expert, but AIUI, Go seems to be one of those languages that considers
> *lacking* certain features to *be* a feature. Ie the whole "minimalism" approach
> to language design. For people who value that (not for me personally though),
> it's a feature D doesn't offer and deliberately doesn't try to.

That's right. What a minimal language does is transfer the work from the
compiler to the programmer. Obviously, I prefer to transfer the work to the
compiler.

After all, if you're going to be spending 8 hours a day programming, investing a
few more hours to learn the language is nothing compared with the time savings
from using a more powerful one.