Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 27 15:32:32 PDT 2015

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:11:41 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

> Not a broken design. If I have to run multiple servers just to handle an
> image upload or generating a PDF then you are driving up the cost of the
> project and developers would be better off with a different platform?

but it is broken! the whole point of async i/o servers is that such
servers spend most of their time waiting for i/o. and if you need to do
some lengthy calculations, you either spawns a "real thread" and commands
it to wake you up when it is finished, or asking external server to do
the job (and wake you when it is finished).

what moving fibers from thread to thread does is bringing in state
copying (we want our threads fairly isolated, aren't we? so either
copying, or ownership management).

the whole thing of cooperative multitasking is to be... cooperative. in
several years some Shiny New Async Framework will use "no transferring
fibers between worker threads" as Spectacular Invention.