Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 27 16:03:01 PDT 2015

On 3/27/2015 2:47 PM, weaselcat wrote:
> On Friday, 27 March 2015 at 20:58:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 3/27/2015 1:35 PM, weaselcat wrote:
>>> there's a difference between minimalism and blatantly not adopting core advances
>>> in language design over the past 40 years.
>>
>> Yes, and there's also a difference between gratuitous complexity and finding
>> the underlying simplicity.
>>
>> It's a tricky thing finding the sweet spot.
>
> I don't disagree, but Go is definitely not in that sweet spot - it's crippled by
> its benevolent dictators for the sake of being crippled.

I tried to program in Java, and found it went too far in the simplicity
department. I haven't programmed in Go, but it has also gone too far for my
taste. I just don't want to program that way anymore.

I am not going to claim that D has hit the sweet spot, either, but I'd rather
err on the side of having the power I want.