Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 27 19:31:36 PDT 2015

On Friday, 27 March 2015 at 06:49:05 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 27 March 2015 at 04:05:30 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> Programming is - for now - still a human activity, and what is
>> important in human activities may not always be measured, and
>> what may be easily measured is not always important.  That
>> doesn't mean one should throw away the profiler and go back to
>> guessing, but it does suggest caution about adopting the
>> prestigious techniques of the natural sciences and applying
>> them to a domain where they don't necessarily fully belong.
>
> What is almost always important is:
>
> 1. to be able to ship the product in a predictable fashion
>
> 2. not go 300-400% over budget
>
> 3. being able to train new people to maintain it in reasonable
> time
>
> 4. being able to add new unexpected features to the code base
> on request
>
> Perl is a very expressive and productive language. And you can
> write maintainable software in it if you have discipline. In
> the real world Perl tends to lead to an unmaintainable mess
> with the average programmer.

Fair points that I wouldn't argue with (although I think
predicting when one will finish something entirely new is a mugs
game - another reason to favour prototyping and rapid iteration
when possible).

But those strike me as practical questions of commercial
experience, judgement, and tradecraft, and I don't see what it
has to do with D or with a scientific approach, except that D may
have some advantages in some cases in these areas.  I don't see
any essential resemblance whatsoever between D and Perl - on the
contrary.

The data points we have suggest that the scarcity of D
programmers is an imaginary problem, because enterprises just
hire good people and they pick it up (ask Don at Sociomantic or
Dicebot for example).  Modern business has a misplaced emphasis
on credentials.  And if you have a large code base it is not like
a new guy can just dive in, anyway.  There is a signalling effect
at work also, at least for the time being.

I am curious about something, if I might ask.  You seem like you
feel let down by something about D.  Ie you give various reasons
but I am not sure that's the motivating factor.  What's behind
that ?  No need to answer if you prefer not to, of course.

Laeeth.