Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 28 07:57:17 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 28 March 2015 at 13:52:54 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> then you have to switch to some functional language, preferably
> one that
> does cps transformations in the compiler. as you told somewhere
> else, D
> is too broad to be restricted to this.

Fibers is really not a system level thing. So I don't think D
MUST have them as it is claimed that D is meant to be a system
level language. I rate D against C/C++/Rust, but not Go per se. I
see that Bearophile sometimes express that D should be be pitted
with Java/C# rather than C/C++/Rust, but that does not fit for
what is claimed for D…

The bottom line is: if you decide to make fibers a
language/runtime feature you have to make them work well across
the board because you are evaluated against other languages that
provide them. If it is just an "extras" library features, then
you can make do with "basic features", nobody expects more.