Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

cym13 via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 29 12:44:00 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 29 March 2015 at 19:09:52 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> As an active Python developer, what would you add to or change
> about the following:
> http://bitbashing.io/2015/01/26/d-is-like-native-python.html

I like this article very much. IMO python's generators and list
comprehensions are the two things that are the most difficult to
replace when switching to another language. Hence I would
explicitely make a link with list comprehensions in the UFCS
paragraph because it is not obvious. I would also add a little
paragraph about ranges to make the link from generators (but
maybe not with an example as it may be scarier than it really is).

In the same way of making the parallel with python, many
developers seem to use python for web serveurs nowadays. It would
be great to include a link to vibe.d in the article. Something
simple like "or web server developments with vibe.d" thrown in a
sentence.

Also, but this one would be a sensible addition, I'm sorry to see
that nothing is said about purity or safety. I definitely think
that it can be a good selling argument, even if it goes beyond
the goal "Writting Python in D".

Otherwise, I find the article very good. It emphasis the good
points, even those that are often forgotten like dub (because
pypi is so important in python).

I'll try giving it to some friends to see what they think about
it :)