Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 30 01:53:14 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 29 March 2015 at 19:03:06 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 March 2015 at 15:34:35 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> Actually, there is quite a large overlap if you look beyond
>> the syntax. Dart is completely unexciting, but I also find it
>> very productive when used with the IDE.
>
> Glad to hear this - I haven't yet got very far with Dart, but
> it seems like a toss-up between Dart and Livescript for a
> passable language to run on the client (for my little use case).

I don't know the future of Dart, but if you have time to wait for
it you might consider atscript/Angular 2.0.

> Knuth is also right that people think in different ways, and
> it's an entirely natural thing to see a multiplicity of
> languages emerging that are adapted to these different ways
> (and of course the particular challenges people face are also
> different).  That's why religious wars about these things have

I think most imperative languages are just variations over the
same theme. I pick them based on what they+ecosystem is good at,
not the language by itself. So basically, you have to be best at
one particular application area to do well. Go is aiming to have
a good runtime for building smaller web-services, and they are
getting there. Because they focus.