Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 31 01:35:47 PDT 2015

On 3/31/15 1:19 AM, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 at 02:05:05 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 3/30/15 12:29 AM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't we all. Part of the problem with std.algorithm is its power. It's
>>> frequently the case that you think that something isn't there when it's
>>> either there under a different name, or you just have to look at one
>>> of its
>>> functions from a different angle to use it for what you're trying to
>>> do. It
>>> wouldn't surprise me at all if folks who know it quite well get
>>> surprised by
>>> what it can do at least from time to time.
>>
>> Then we need more examples and tutorials. -- Andrei
>
> how are these to appear?

I've offered a number of times to write a slides-like tutorial if anyone
wants to do the slides logic. Nobody came about. Probably nobody will,
so I'll have to do it myself.

It's also disheartening that people in our community say "Except for one
function, std.algorithm does not allocate memory", or "RefCounted works
with classes, it just hasn't been implemented yet", however nobody
actually fixes these things (not to mention "file reading by line is
slow" which has been fixed after having been wrongly characterized as a
fundamental cstdlib issue). This has been going on for YEARS. Only a
handful of contributors actually do such work, a lot of which is
trivial; everybody else seems content to just talk about it and wait for
handouts.

We need to do better at empowering people.

Andrei