Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 31 03:40:37 PDT 2015

>>> Then we need more examples and tutorials. -- Andrei
>>
>> how are these to appear?
>
> I've offered a number of times to write a slides-like tutorial
> if anyone wants to do the slides logic. Nobody came about.
> Probably nobody will, so I'll have to do it myself.

Sorry for my denseness, but what is 'slides logic'?

What I had in mind was that big projects that are not
intrinsically gratifying can be too much to undertake in one
bite.  So how about we just agree something like 'email p0nce'
(if he is willing - he seems to be good at it) when one comes
across something cool - like a way to make use of std.algorithm
(as several people have mentioned keeps happening) so he can
collect them and write them up when there is time.  Or someone
else, if p0nce cannot or does not wish to do it.

I bet that one could find quite a few useful examples just
grepping thru one's own code/searching on github.

> It's also disheartening that people in our community say
> "Except for one function, std.algorithm does not allocate
> memory"
Umm that was me...  I don't feel confident enough to write at a
Phobos standard yet and might be a little while before I am
experienced enough.  But I see your point.

I reckon people do want to help, but don't know how.  If I do a
search for priorities on the wiki, only the roadmap comes up.

I started this page as a placeholder:
http://wiki.dlang.org/How_You_Can_Help

Laeeth.