Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 31 13:04:37 PDT 2015

E.g. http://tour.golang.org/welcome/1

> What I had in mind was that big projects that are not
> intrinsically gratifying can be too much to undertake in one
> bite.  So how about we just agree something like 'email p0nce'
> (if he is willing - he seems to be good at it) when one comes
> across something cool - like a way to make use of std.algorithm
> (as several people have mentioned keeps happening) so he can
> collect them and write them up when there is time.  Or someone
> else, if p0nce cannot or does not wish to do it.
>
> I bet that one could find quite a few useful examples just
> grepping thru one's own code/searching on github.
>
>> It's also disheartening that people in our community say "Except for
>> one function, std.algorithm does not allocate memory"
> Umm that was me...  I don't feel confident enough to write at a
> Phobos standard yet and might be a little while before I am
> experienced enough.  But I see your point.

No worries, it's the pattern not the person. Walter mentioned that as
well. It gets mentioned often.

> I reckon people do want to help, but don't know how.  If I do a
> search for priorities on the wiki, only the roadmap comes up.
>
> I started this page as a placeholder:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/How_You_Can_Help

Great, thanks!

Andrei