The hackathon week roundup

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat May 2 16:02:14 PDT 2015

The hackathon week (Apr 25 - May 1) saw 70 PRs created (compare to 68
created Apr 18 through 24). Not much difference in terms of new work,
but the PRs closed during the same two periods (75 vs 53) reflect a good
bump in the reviewing activity. Another related data point: 143 PRs were
updated (e.g. revised, commented on etc) during the hackathon week vs.
78 the week before that. Great work, thanks!

Some good stuff has been happening, some manifestly hackathon-related,
some perhaps just coincidental.

* Article "Using D Templates for Gamedev":
https://marfisc.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/using-d-templates-for-gamedev.
Did well on reddit
(http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/34ah1q/using_d_templates_for_game_development/)
although it's been classified as spam for a few hours.

* Proof of concept:
https://github.com/JinShil/stm32f42_discovery_demo/blob/master/README.md

* Tutorial: http://d.readthedocs.org (btw should we link that from the
homepage?)

* WIP: tracing memory allocations, see
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mhhmnr$2euj$1@digitalmars.com,
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/4621,
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/4625,
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/1246.

* The "if(arr)" warning has been undone. This has caused a fair amount
of stir. We believe we made the right call, though sadly it's impossible
to make everyone happy. Please bear with us.

* WIP: Unique https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3225
and RefCounted (can't seem to find the PR - where is it?)

* WIP: allocators http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mi1qph$cgr$1@digitalmars.com

All in all, a great week! Congratulations to all participants, and let's
do it again sometime. I'm looking into ways to make this more
interactive (google hangouts?) and more fun (contests? prizes? etc).
Chime in!

Again - this is terrific. Many thanks to everyone who participated!

Andrei