iOS LDC 0.16.1 (2.067.1) binaries available

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 5 07:59:56 PST 2015

On Thursday, 5 November 2015 at 15:45:35 UTC, Dan Olson wrote:
> tvOS is essentially iOS and doesn't require bitcode (yet) like
> watchOS. I am looking at adding it soon because Xcode 7 enables
> it by default.

I just looked it up, their official docs say bitcode is required
for both tvOS and watchOS:

https://developer.apple.com/library/watchos/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/AppThinning/AppThinning.html

> I don't totally appreciate all the possible bitcode problems,
> but one of the suggestions that apps can be updated for new
> CPUs without rebuilding doesn't make sense.  The IR/bitcode
> from clang for arm64 and armv7 is different.  They would have
> to make all the ABIs identical first or have LLVM backend do
> more of the ABI work.

Yeah, that's what google did with PNaCl, stabilize on one format
and make it as architecture-agnostic as possible:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQyNTE

Maybe Apple doesn't really care about running on different
architectures, but I wonder what they're doing to handle changes
in the llvm bitcode format over time.