Release D 2.069.0

Sebastiaan Koppe via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 8 06:14:21 PST 2015

On Saturday, 7 November 2015 at 13:25:41 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
>> What can we do when it eats up all 4 gigs? (Windows)
>
> With any program, if you're hitting the limit of the 32-bit
> address space (which is actually more like 3.6 GiB than 4),
> then you really only have two options - use less memory or go
> to 64-bit. In the case of dmd specifically, that means either
> reducing how much memory dmd consumes (which would mean
> improvements to the dmd codebase), have a 64-bit build of dmd
> (I have no idea what's involved with that, though it sounds
> like it's been done before), or you have to build your program
> in separate pieces that each require a low enough amount of
> memory when compiling that they don't run out of memory. Phobos
> has been built in pieces for quite a while now specifically
> because it requires too much memory to build it all at once
> (std.algorithm alone requires a lot of memory thanks to all of
> the template instantiations in its unit tests).
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

With a codebase like phobos, compiling in several steps isn't a
bad solution. But I am building a parser using pegged, and
splitting up the grammar into different modules feels like a
no-no. It's an option though.

Right now I run compile with gdc in a virtual machine. Still eats
about 7 gigs.

The 64bit dmd would be nice. I waved the idea goodbye when I
couldn't find a download link. Maybe need to look into it.