The D Language Foundation has $5000 to its name

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 22 13:45:00 PST 2015

On Thursday, 19 November 2015 at 12:31:01 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 11/17/2015 04:01 PM, cym13 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 17 November 2015 at 20:54:34 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Quite timely after the announcement of that $600K donation
>>> for the
>>> Julia language, I'm happy to announce that the D Language
>>> Foundation
>>> has a bank account seeded with $5000 - as I promised, it's a
>>> round-up
>>> of my last royalty check.
>>>
>>> The D Language Foundation doesn't yet have non-profit status,
>>> so we
>>> can't accept donations in that account; that'll take a few
>>> more
>>> months. I'll keep everybody posted.
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> What do you plan to do concretely with that money? Advertise?
>> Support
>> projects?
>
> DConf is our largest annual spender. Also we plan a few small
> monthly expenses. I'll keep everyone posted. -- Andrei

I have a recommendation for fairly small expense which would be a
perfect job for the newly formed Foundation. Get some
certificates for D. Walter was interested in the past with
getting one for Digital Mars to use but I think the idea got lost
somewhere along the way. There are three different certificates
that would be good to have:

1. SSL certificate for dlang.org (optionally getting an EV
certificate would be a good way to advertise the Foundation in
the address bar).
2. Code signing certificate for Windows from a Certificate
Authority.
3. OS X code signing certificate from Apple.

The first two can be done pretty inexpensively through StartSSL
(there are plenty of other options though).

Apple isn't as important because I don't believe it does the
Untrusted Developer warning for opening .dmg files nor does it do
it for running command line applications. It's good for tamper
security though. To register with Apple you'll need a DUNS number
for the Foundation which you can create through Dun & Bradshaw
(not sure if it's free).

Code signing the installers and executables means the Windows
SmartScreen protection systems won't kick in and give big, scary
warnings with non-obvious workarounds about the D downloads. It
also means the Admin Privilege request dialog would display the
Foundation's name which looks way more professional and
trustworthy than an unsigned executable. I think doing this
eventually is important if you want D to look professional and
ready for primetime.