[OT] bitcoin donation

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 24 18:33:22 PST 2015

On Monday, 23 November 2015 at 12:11:36 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> One could ask the same thing about any currency that isn't the
> one accepted at a store.
>
> I looked with a tinge of fascination at what bitcoin was a
> while ago. I think there is a natural averse reaction to
> something that is valuable but that you cannot understand.

Don't be confused. Krugman do not understand bitcoin, but Krugman
think that terrorism and riots are good, that the internet will
never work and that there was no bubble in 2008, so I think is it
fairly secure to ignore him.

Many other economist have model that explain bitcoin's value.

> I know bitcoin has real math and genius behind it, and this is
> a silly example, but for those who do not understand how it
> actually works (including myself), it seems very similar in
> nature. Dollars (or whatever local currency you use) are
> understandable, and generally accepted at places where I shop.
> It's easy to see how one cannot duplicate them without evidence
> of doing so (the fundamental characteristic of currency).
> Online bits don't seem so uncopyable.
>
> -Steve

Most people to not understand fractional reserve, bond emission,
or how credit card works. I think that's ok.

Back to the point, one of the value of bitcoin is to be able to
transfer money internationally easily and for cheap. People that
do have USD to spend on digital mars do not care. People abroad
do care.

Now I don't expect that accepting bitcoin will create a giant
wave of donation, but, if anything, it is always good PR and not
complicated. There is also no reason to refuse a donation or to
make it more complex to do a donation.

Andrei, Walter, if you need help to navigate the bitcoin
ecosystem, you can reach me, I can help.