Graillon 1.0, VST effect fully made with D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 27 10:37:41 PST 2015

On Friday, 27 November 2015 at 16:54:11 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> Exactly, that's like all the talk about "scaling" or "big data"
> on the Internet. Problems we wish we had.

All commercial websites can benefit from automatic scaling, load
balancing and fully managed systems:

1. You get rid of the maintenance cost.

2. You can survive a DoS attack, or diminish impact of it.

3. You don't have to redesign the entire infrastructure as an
emergency operation when you cross what you can run on a single
server/database.

4. Solutions for scaling usually also includes reliability and
data replication.

"big data" is often about being able to do things you could not
do before.  Like log analysis. Which is relevant in some trivial
domains, like multi-user games, where a single participant can
generate a lot of data... I.e. try to figure out what game
mechanics/levels works/don't work quantitatively. But yes, "big
data" is probably overrated, although it can allow new ways of
figuring out how to improve a system.

Your application looks cool, but I don't quite understand what
kind of dynamic allocations you need after init?

Seems like you can afford to run all the audio on a OS-level real
time thread. That is way different than a very computationally
expensive application where you stream from a regular thread to a
hard real time thread.