Graillon 1.0, VST effect fully made with D

Jonny via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 28 22:18:11 PST 2015

On Saturday, 28 November 2015 at 01:31:22 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Friday, 27 November 2015 at 17:12:05 UTC, Jonny wrote:
>>
>> You have no idea what you are talking about! It is mentalities
>> like yours that cause headaches for musicians and engineers
>> who work with RT audio.
>>
>> Do you realize that even 5 ms of jitter can be felt by the
>> listener and musician as being off? 5 ms of latency can be
>> felt and 20ms is unacceptable.
>
> "jitter" is not "latency", you don't have "5 ms" of jitter.

um, come on, you sit here and preach that I don't know what I'm
talking about yet you can't even be right on the first sentence?

jitter is the standard deviation of the timings. Do you know what
standard deviation is? It is the square root of the sum of the
squares...

Now, if you are so intelligent as you think you are, you can see
by simple dimensional analysis that you get the same unit as what
you measured with.

While, this doesn't prove you don't have a clue about jitter, my
guess is, you don't.

Believe me, jitter is a big deal. If you spent as much time doing
music as you did programming, you'd realize that. Go spend 5
years learning to play the drums properly then come back and
we'll do some tests and see if you believe the same thing.

Also, if you simply removed the GC from D so it doesn't get
called, then whats the point? Anyone can do that(more or less).
If you used manual memory management, then whats the point? C++
already does that and does RT audio already. We know D can be
made to do this already.

If you pause the GC so it doesn't get called a lot, then whats
the point? If you run your software for 3 hours, if it going to
survive or glitch?

Do you know what "design for the worse case scenario" means?
While RT audio isn't life and death, it's treated that why by the
professional community.

Just because it's acceptable to you to define RT audio in some
way that justifies it for you does not mean it's RT audio. I'm
not saying your software isn't RT, but if you use the GC in any
way what so ever, you don't have RT audio... regardless if it
behaves like RT 99.99% percent. (there is something about
guaranteed *maximum* latency that you have to deal with)