Graillon 1.0, VST effect fully made with D

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 29 03:14:08 PST 2015

On Sunday, 29 November 2015 at 10:14:40 UTC, Warwick wrote:
> We're talking about whether a plugin / audio code / runtime
> environment can deliver audio to a soundcard in a reliable
> manner so that you don't get audio drop outs. We're not talking
> about the jitter of a digital clock source that's used to
> control the actual sampling stream. It's similar but at the
> level of the audio buffer timeslice, not the unit delta of the
> sample stream. The jitter of an audio clock source is for
> electronic engineers not audio plugin developers.

Thanks for saying this.
Said it better than anyone.

> IE. If you are at 90% cpu usage with 5ms timeslice you can only
> tollerate 0.5ms jitter before the shit hits the fan. So the
> important question is not "does it work", it's "does it work
> under heavy load".

A common counter-point to stay clear of glitches is stay way
below 90% CPU usage, have larger buffers or a beefier CPU. If you
are maxing out the CPU you are asking for problems, it's not just
the plugins being unpredictable. After all our OS aren't RTOS.